Railcard Terms & Conditions
Conditions of issue and use of the Family & Friends Railcard and reduced priced tickets (‘discounted tickets’) bought with a Family & Friends Railcard.
ATOC Ltd enters into the contract for the issue and use of the Family & Friends Railcard on behalf of the Train Companies. Reference to a ‘Train Company’ or the ‘Train Companies’ means those Train Companies which, pursuant to a franchise agreement, operate Passenger Railway Services in Great Britain. Any other licensed passenger train operators that may join the arrangement will accept the Family & Friends Railcard for travel on their services.
- Both the First named holder and the Second named holder must sign the Railcard before use to show acceptance of all the Conditions listed in this leaflet. The name of the Second holder must be provided at the time of purchase and may not be added during the period of validity of the Railcard.
- The Railcard and tickets bought with it are not transferable and must not be given, loaned, or resold to anyone else. Only the named cardholder(s) can use the Railcard.
- Group size: At least one named cardholder and at least one child must be travelling to enable discounted tickets to be used. The maximum group size is up to four adults (aged 16 years and over) including the named cardholder(s), and four children (aged 5-15 years).
- If the named holders travel separately, only one of the holders may use the Railcard.
- Tickets for your journey should be purchased before boarding the train and when buying tickets you must show the Railcard.
- You must carry your Railcard with you on your journey and when asked by rail staff, you must show a valid ticket and valid Railcard. If you fail to do so, you and each member of your group will be required to pay the full price Standard Single fare for your journey as if no tickets were purchased before starting the journey and in some cases a Penalty Fare. This does not apply if there was no ticket office at the station at which you began your journey or if the ticket office was closed and there was no ticket machine from which you could buy discounted tickets.
- Additional accompanying passengers for whom discounted tickets are purchased must travel with the Railcard holder throughout the journey.
- Time restrictions apply in the London and South East Network Railcard area. A map of this area is available at www.familyandfriends-railcard.co.uk For full details please enquire at a station ticket office before you travel or phone National Rail Enquires on 08457 48 49 50.
- All child’s fares are subject to a minimum £1 fare.
- Discounted tickets are not valid for travel in First Class, except for Upgrades to First Class at weekends (subject to availability) upon payment of the appropriate supplement.
- The The Railcard will not be valid if it is damaged. The Train Companies do not undertake to issue refunds on unused/unwanted Railcards, or to extend their validity. In the event of loss or damage an application for the replacement of a Railcard may be made: where the original Railcard was purchased at a rail station this may only be requested at a staffed station ticket office (the completed ‘Receipt’ voucher from the original application form must be produced); where the Railcard was purchased online, customers may only request a replacement online.
Only one replacement may be issued in a 12 month period for lost or damaged Railcards and a £10 administration fee is payable. No fee will be charged for the replacement of a stolen Railcard provided you have a crime reference number/documentation issued by the Police. You will be requested to show some form of identification if obtaining a replacement from a station.
- The Railcard and all tickets issued at a Railcard discount are issued subject to the National Rail Conditions of Carriage and the Conditions listed here. Copies of the National Rail Conditions of Carriage are available online at www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/nrcc
- The Railcard does not become your property and if requested must be handed in to a representative of any Train Company.
- The right is reserved to revise these Conditions. The Train Companies will endeavour to give three months’ notice of any changes before they are due to come into effect.
Fraudulent use of Railcards and Railcard discounted tickets may lead to criminal prosecution.
Special notes regarding children’s tickets
Children aged under 16 at the time that the Railcard is purchased may still travel at the discounted child’s fare throughout the validity period of the 1-year Railcard, even if they become 16 years old during that time or, for a 3-year Railcard until the child turns 17.
If the only child in the Family & Friends Railcard group is aged under five years, the Railcard holder must purchase a discounted ticket for that child in order for the Railcard holder(s) to qualify for the discount on their tickets.
Terms and Conditions are valid up to and including 17 May 2015.
Plan your journey
Want the quickest, easiest way from A to B? Find out with our online journey planner.
Family & Friends Railcard holders, WIN 1 of 50 FREE tickets to...
LAST CHANCE to win a Railcard and a VIP invite to our exclusiv...
16-25 Railcard holders, with Halloween on the horizon why not ...
16-25 Railcard holders, WIN 1 of 50 FREE tickets to the specia...